Crazy mess! Way too many.
Looking for a Lightbox clone — specifically a jQuery plugin that pops a slider in a modal “overlay”/dialog, and hopefully a WordPress plugin that integrates it with how media is (best) managed in WP.
But, I’d also want to use it without the modal overlay, just the slideshow: many of the requirements overlap.
(aka: slideshow, gallery, carousel…)
- Lazy loading and preloading
- Use WP’s media library
- Always give users freedom to upload and replace images.
- Need to tell WP to automatically resize uploads to necessary dimensions, including thumbnails.
- How to select images per gallery/slider? Manually? By tags? Attachments to posts?
- Multiple instances on same page
- WP integration: as widget, shortcode, or “hardcoded” in PHP templates.
- Modal overlay (aka lightbox): to show full resolution image, or uncropped if distinct aspect ratio, but shrink to fit screen; pop as slider, ie with navigation controls.
- Thumbnails, captions
- Optional navigation controls: arrows or bullets, paging or scrollbar, keyboard shortcuts.
- Usability: pause slideshow on hover, etc.
- Hyperlink slides
- Content sliders — not just images?
- CSS background-image so can superimpose text, other content?
- Responsive (ems, resizing, media queries)?
- Progressive enhancement? For portability and future proofing?
- Mouse wheel scrolling, touch (eg, swipe)…
- SEO (and Semantic Web)?
- Lightbox 2 (GitHub)
- Colorbox (GitHub)
- Fancybox, fancyBox 2 (GitHub, Google Group)
- jQuery Lightbox — several with same name?
- Simple Lightbox
- Slimbox 2 (Google Code)
… and, no end in sight: Shutter Reloaded, LightWindow, Floatbox, FancyZoom…